The proverb “an Englishman’s home is his castle” is a British expression of personal privacy and security. The phrase has long been used to define a home as a place of refuge, and since at least the 17th century, it has been a legal precept that no one may enter your home without a clear invitation.
It’s not just home owners who deserve a place of refuge: at Lifestyle Sales and Lettings, we believe there is a castle for everyone.
Rent or buy?
Renting offers greater flexibility – always check the terms of your rental for notice periods – and is a great way to experience living in an area before making a commitment and buying there.
- Short-term commitment, offers flexibility
- Landlord responsibility for property maintenance
- House shares are popular options, particularly in expensive areas
- You won’t own the property
- Landlord permission is required for changes and improvements
- Rent levels might rise (check contract terms and conditions)
Joining the property ladder is a big step.
It’s important to consider carefully how much you can afford to repay your mortgage provider every month. The value of your monthly repayments will be lower if you can make a larger down payment. Don’t forget to factor in Stamp Duty, survey costs, removal and legal costs too.
- Pay off your mortgage, own your home
- Make changes and improvements*
- Benefit from increases in value
- Monthly payments may be cheaper than rent
*subject to planning regulations
- Repayments changing, linked to interest rates
- Ongoing maintenance costs, service charges
- Risk of negative equity or decrease in value
- Long-term commitment, less flexibility
Whatever you decide, Lifestyle Sales & Lettings would love to help you.
We’ll accompany you on your viewings at a time that’s convenient to you, including evenings and weekends. We’ll provide you with all the practical details and advice you need. From viewing a property to contracts and removal services, we’ll help you to make the most stress-free move you’ll ever make.
Browse our property portfolio to view our homes for rent and for sale, and contact us today and our expert advisors will help you to find your perfect castle.