According to Office for National Statistics, there were 27.2 million households in the UK in 2017.

The Government’s English Housing Survey reports that, in 2016-17, there were around 671,000 first-time buyers in England (first purchase in the last three years and no property previously owned). Approximately 70% of properties are owner-occupied, the remaining 30% comprising predominately private or social rental accommodation.

At some point in your lifetime, you are likely to visit a prospective property, whether to rent or to buy.

Here are a few tips which can help you feel happy and safe during your viewings.

Hosting

Your estate agent should register certain information about the potential vendor or tenant before they visit, and share it, where appropriate, with you. This should include their name and maybe whether they are part of a chain, or require a mortgage.

If you’re hosting a prospective tenant, you might be able to find out what they do – student, or professional for example – which can be particularly useful if you’re screening potential tenants.

Host your visit during daylight hours, and let other people know about the viewing – even better if they can join you.

It’s common sense to remove valuables or sensitive information from sight, and try not to leave anyone alone during a viewing. Allow them space to explore the property, but stay within eyesight.

Always, always secure the property after any viewing – double check doors and windows even if you haven’t unlocked them during the visit.

Viewing

If possible, schedule your viewing for daylight hours, and make sure you tell someone where you are going and who you are meeting. If possible, take someone with you.

Ask for an accompanied viewing, with a member of the agent’s team, and get the name of the person who will be accompanying you. If you’ve not met them beforehand, ask to see their ID when they arrive.

Under no circumstance should you pay any deposit or rent money until you’ve signed a contract.

Here at Lifestyle Sales and Lettings, it is our policy to accompany all property viewings, and our employees follow a clear procedure when conducting viewings.

Whether you’re viewing properties from our portfolio with a view to rent or buy, or we are marketing your property on your behalf, you can be confident that every visit will be hosted by a member of our friendly team. If you’re selling your property and would prefer not to be present during a viewing, we can arrange that too.

Contact us today – you’ll be safe as houses with Lifestyle Sales and Lettings.

2019-01-15T09:03:44+00:00